Sunday, September 2, 2007

Learning to Crochet and Never Growing Up

I'm hearing lots of giggling and laughing coming from the living room while sitting at the computer. I have a feeling that if I were to get up and go take a look, I would strongly disapprove of the form of self entertainment and put a halt to it. In the living room is the entire Horde, and Jason. From what I am gathering, they are playing some kind of game involving a ball and tickling and what else I'm not sure. Now, with an adult in the room, you'd think it would be much less roudy than it would be with just the Horde. However, that just goes to show what a big kid my husband is. He's just as bad, if not worse, than they are.

Speaking of games, Izzy has decided that he can control what the other kids do. They oblige him completely. They have taught him that if he smacks his legs with both hands, they will get down on their knees and bow down to him while chanting "bow down to Emporer Issac!" over and over again. If he claps his hands, they do a little dance. If he makes a loud noise over and over again, they will repeat it. They refer to him as Emporer Issac and he adores it. He has made the older members of the Horde in to doting servants. Now if only he could get them to clean their rooms and the play room.

Katy has decided she wants to start crocheting again. I had begun to teach her about a year ago. We got as far as making one long line before she lost interest. While shopping on Friday, I had her pick out a ball of yarn that she liked. One ball would make a rather small project, and therefore, hopefully, keep her frustration to a minimum. She has decided that she want's to make a scarf. A scarf is a very simple project and a great one to learn on, in fact it's how I learned to crochet.

So I tell Katy to make a row of 48 stitches, which she does. I begin to show her how to make the lower row, which will make the loops. She doesn't quite understand, and it's a dark yarn, so I do it for her. Then I show her how to make the first couple of rows. She can do it, to a point. I leave her alone to do it. She brings it to me and says "I've really messed it up, I can't do the end thing."
Katy has totally skipped turning it back around to make another row and has continued it around and to the bottom. I unravel it and then put her back in place. A few minutes go by and I hear the aformentioned giggling and laughing fest. Katy brings me her project, and once again, it is not as it should be. She has twisted it so that the bottom is now the top.

My look of absolute dumbfoundment has her laughing. James wants to know what is so funny and she tells him that it is in fact the look on my face. She then says, "I don't know what happened."
"Um, really?"
"Yeah, I was doing it OK and then we were bouncing a ball off of Jayden's head (with the aforementioned grown adult/child in the room) and crocheting and I did that."
"Katy, that just goes to prove you can't crochet and bounce balls off your sister's head at the same time." To this comment she starts laughing almost uncontrollably.
"No, Mommy, I was crocheting and they started the game and I set it aside and I picked it back up and I was doing it and that's when it all got messed up."
"Were you paying attention to what you were doing?"
"Um...not really."
"OK, that's why it looks like this. You can work on it more tomorrow."

I told her I'll add a couple more rows to it so that it's harder for her to get it all twisted around like that. At least she is trying. When James was informed that he is going to be learning to crochet, he was less than enthused and told me that it was a "girl" thing and he shouldn't be made to learn it. My theory on "girl" things and "boy" things is that is a bunch of hooey. They will all learn to crochet, to sew, to work on a car, to do their laundry, to throw a ball, to fix a drawer, etc. etc. etc. I feel that in order to be fully prepared to be grown ups and get out of the house they need to know all those things. And they will get to hone their skills while doing work around my house.

No comments: