Saturday, September 1, 2007

Milestones and Back to School

I'm still not sure how to insert pictures into the blog, and with the hard drive crash of 2007 (it was also the mother board that hit the dirt, and Jack, my brother, can't explain why it happened) we have yet to put our pictures back on the computer. I will figure it out, I'm going to want to share first day of school pictures. It will actually be 2nd day for James and Katy, and 1st day for Jayden. The older three start school this next week. Katy and James have a 1/2 day on Tuesday, Jayden starts on Wednesday, which is the first full day for Katy and James. I found out this past Thursday that Jayden will be at school all day as well. I did a little dance right there in the office! That means that it will be just me and Izzy during the day together. It will give me time to work more with him one on one.

Speaking of Izzy, he has hit a couple of milestones since I last posted. On Tuesday morning, I was sitting on the couch reading "The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants". A side note on this book. Katy is reading it right now as well. I had never read this book, and as I like to think of myself as an informed parent, I decided to read it as well. I wanted to know exactly what she was reading. It's a pretty good book, and very age appropriate.

So I'm sitting on the couch, reading the book. Izzy is playing in the living room and the older members of the Horde are upstairs. Izzy is moving about a lot, and I keep seeing the top of his head over the top of the book. Admittedly, Izzy is a big kid, and when he's standing upright, this makes perfect sense. However, I'm seeing the top of his head in the middle of the room, and going from one side of the room to the other. Now the only way that this were possible is for him to be....*gasp* .... WALKING! I lower the book, and by God, there he was, WALKING back and forth across the room! What a HUGE milestone for him! I just sat there grinning like a fool. I still smile thinking of it. He's getting to be such a BIG boy!

Another milestone this week. Izzy is delayed in speech. He was drugged up pretty heavily for the first 9 months of his life due to seizures. So he is delayed in all realms as the drugs just made him a groggy blob for the most part. So every milestone he reaches is delayed, but still joyous, and definately long awaited. It's also why he's just walking at 17 months, though I realize that some kids take longer than others.

Izzy has been playing with sounds more and more often. He really seems to have no desire to communicate, which we just can't figure out why. He's been vocalizing more, trying to use some consonant sounds, though he hasn't been putting the sounds together to make basic words. Mmmmm has been a favorite of his. On Thursday I was in the office, which is at the back of the house, using the computer and Izzy was crawling and walking around back here as well. At the back of the house is also the adult bedroom and the kitchen and the lower bath. He is free to roam all the rooms for the most part.

I get up to check on what he is doing. He had turned on my clock radio, which he thinks is a great game. It makes a great noise every time he pushes the button. I go to get Izzy out of my bedroom and he has climbed on to the bed (another milestone while I'm thinking of it) and was chewing on a magazine. Izzy is a paper eater. He loves ALL paper. It's a phase, all of my kids have gone through it, however it does mean keeping books, papers, magazines, and mail out of his reach.

I look at Izzy and say,
"You little heathen. You aren't supposed to be eating that."

He looks up at me and grins his adorable grin and says "Muma" and giggles and claps.
I stand there in absolute shock, this is his FIRST word!
"What did you say?"
"Muma...hehe" and more clapping.
"Yes, you are such a good boy Izzy. Yes, I'm Muma. Good boy." and I continue the praise for the guy. And I'm grinning like a fool. My baby boy's first "real" word was Muma. Hehe, I get first dibs! Ok, admittedly, Izzy signed Daddy first, however, I get the spoken realm! As a side note, we are teaching Izzy (and the other members of the Horde to keep it consistent) basic sign language to help teach him communication.

We have the van that day so that we can go pick up Katy's birth certificate, pick up my pay check from Denny's, and go to the Horde's school. I need to show them Katy's birth certificate, and they get to meet their teachers, well the older two do. We meet the Principal, Mr. K. He's a very jovial nice guy, and I KNOW I'll be seeing a lot of him. They had a computer error where they had place James in 2nd grade, not 3rd. Because of this, the Horde was able to meet their teachers. We met James' resource room teacher, Ms. D. first. She gave us an impromptu tour of the building, showing us where James' resource room would be on the 2nd floor. Then we went up to the 3rd floor, to meet James' main stream teacher, Mrs. W., and on the way to his class, we passed by Katy's class, where we met Mr. R.

My impressions of their teachers so far. Ms. D. is a very happy, high strung kind of woman. She was trying SO hard to connect with James. He was having none of it. The only interest he had in her room was the computers (of coarse) and her prize box. Though it was nice for ME to meet her and place a face with her name, as I'll be working with her, and Mrs. W. closely for James in the next year. Mr. R. is a young guy, rather skinny, and bald. You can tell he has a receding hairline and instead of trying to cover it up, he shaved his hair off. He was friendly and welcoming, as all teachers are at the beginning of the year. I think that Katy will really like to be in his class. James main stream class will only have 17 students! I was so amazed and impressed by this fact. And very glad because I know that fewer students in the class for less distraction for him will allow him to be more successful. Mrs. W. came across a lot like Ms. D. Very open and friendly, and trying so very very hard to make a connection with James. At this point we had been at the school for close to an hour and James was just bored and tired and wanted to leave, which I also understand.

We ran some more errands, and went to pick Jason up from work. Everyone is just bursting with the news that Izzy said his first word! Jason looks back at him and says
"You are such a good boy Izzy. Can you say Dada?"
Izzy looks at him, grins and says "HAH! MUMA!" and claps his hands. I found this hilarious, as did the entire Horde, though I think Jason was a little hurt. I reminded him that while Izzy may say muma, he only signs daddy, and that seemed to help a little. So now, every chance we get, we try to get him to say muma.

No comments: