Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Trip to Grandpa's

Yes, I know the post is post dated, however I like it when it fits right in where it is supposed to. Not to mention, I'm a little busy and editing photos and posting them usually doesn't happen in a timely manner.

Anyway. My mom picked Jayden, the babies, and me up and brought us down to see my grandpa. She was going down anyway and Jason happened to have the day off so someone could sit with James and Izzy. Originally Jayden was going to stay home too, however Mom asked if she could come so that someone could sit in the back with the babies to help with bottles and pacifiers while we were on the road. I brought Katy's portable DVD player to keep Jayden company while we were at Grandpa's.

Grandpa's house is about an hour and a half or so from my place. It's a straight shot down, so that is helpful at least. I knitted while Mom drove. It kept my hands occupied and still allowed me to engage in idle conversation. I'd never experienced "Hands Free" for the cell phone before, that was pretty cool. Mom recently got a new car. It's nice. I forget what kind it is though, a Subaru of some sort or another. She got a great deal on it with her trade in of her old car and the "Cash for Clunkers" program and a discount from her credit union.

I asked Jason to take a some pics of Jack and Abbey before we went down to document their cute coordinating outfits. I always swored I'd never do anything so "corny" as coordinating outfits for the twins. Well, that was until I actually HAD twins. Go figure.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't take many pics while at Grandpa's house. You'll notice that the babies aren't wearing their green shirts in the pics. It was 82 in Grandpa's house. Yep, 82 INSIDE. I know that because next to Grandpa's chair was one of those digital thermometers and that is what it said. UGH. To say it was stifiling is an understatement. Mom picked up deli fried chicken and sides for lunch, which was nice. When we go to see Jason's grandpa, I cook for the guys. Mom said that they prefer the premade stuff like KFC, so I'm all for that!

Photobucket

Jack is named for my grandpa, as his name is Jack (which I'm sure I've explained in at least one previous post). The twins also have Grandpa's birthday. He'd been asking my mom when he would be able to see them. Jason and I had planned on going down at some point on our own, we just didn't know when, so it worked that Mom brought me down.

Photobucket

Grandma Jackie is Grandpa's 3rd wife. He has burried the last 2. My mom's mom passed within a year before I was born, I'm never certain on the dates. The Grandma I grew up with, that Grandpa married within a year of Grandma's passing, was my mom's step-mom and she passed when I was pregnant with Jayden. Grandpa married later that year, about 6-7 months later. My mom says that my grandpa is a man that can't be alone. He's 90 now, so understanding what I do about the era he grew up in, it makes sense to me.

Photobucket

Mom absolutely adores the babies. It seems that she is particularly taken with Abbey, though she is very tickled at Jack being named for her dad, and them sharing a birthday. I think part of it is that she realizes that these very well could be her last grandbabies. I'm not having any more kids, and the way things are going, neither are any of my siblings, step or otherwise. So after these two, it's a waiting game for great-grandbabies for her. Honestly, being the mother of the oldest grandchildren as well as the youngest, I'm certainly hoping that those great-grandbabies of hers hold off for quite some time because I certainly am not ready for that!

Photobucket

Prayers and blessings everyone. I hope you all have wonderful weeks. Remember to enjoy and cherish everyone in your family, from the oldest to the youngest.

No comments: