Thursday, March 13, 2014

Book a Week - End of Week 1

Book 1 - The Haunting of Hill House

OK, this book sucks.  Seriously.  It is ridiculously slow and monotonous.  You'd think a good psychological thriller would be just that - good.  How is it that this book is recommended as a great book?  It took me forever to actually get into it.  I fell asleep more than once, and I never fall asleep while reading.  Some people read to relax and fall asleep, I read to engage my brain.  It says so much about a book when it puts me to sleep.

The book is overly wordy.  Not intelligent wordy or even elementary wordy, just too many words.  It's a short book as it is, but even that it's too many words.  Maybe it would have been better to keep it as a short story - a chapter or two at most.

I'm not sure what book 2 will be.  I've got a couple here to choose from already, however I'm also seriously considering House of Cards.  I finished season 2 on Netflix last night.  Talk about a man you LOVE to hate, Francis Underwood is exactly that man.  I want to find out what happens next!!

For those of you out there that want to give Haunting of Hill House a try out, here's a link to it on Amazon.  You can get it in paperback or on the Kindle.  Or don't waste money on it (seriously) and get it from the library.

No comments: