Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Made Butter

I know, that's make you go "What did she say? Did she REALLY MAKE BUTTER?" Um, yeah, I did. I'm rather proud of it too! I came across a recipe for it via a friend of facebook who directed me to Bella Cantina and this post. I also made the PW Potatoes the other day. And that Apple Dumpling recipe looks so yummy and easy.

Anyway, I made butter. I used the food processor like the directions said. Instead of doing it by hand, I then tossed the butter in to my newly aquired Kitchen Aid Mixer (thank you Income Tax Return!) and worked it that way. After doing all of the washing and letting the mixer work it a bit, I added some honey. It is OH SO GOOD!! Jayden helped with the food processor part.

Considering I have a small processor that only holds 3 cups of solid at a time, I bought it more to help with making puree out of veggies and fruits for baby food, I had to do it three times. Put in the cream, then hold the button for about 5 min until it got to the butter/buttermilk stage. Out of the quart of heavy cream, I'd say I got about a pound of butter (yes a pound!) and close to 2 cups of buttermilk. I have another quart in the fridge so I think that next time I'm going to try the whole thing with the mixer, first with the whisk, and then the mixer beater. I figure if you can use a Kitchen Aid to make merengue you can use it to make butter, and it would save me a few steps considering the bowl is 2 1/2 or 3 quarts, something like that. With the next batch I'm going to do garlic butter.

OK, I know this may seem like a trivial thing to be super geeked about. However, at Thanksgiving, I'm always searching for honey butter and I have such a hard time finding it. So now, I no longer need to search. I can take about 45 minutes and make up some myself! We went through a 9 pack of Thomas' English Muffins this morning enjoying our butter! Next time I do it, I'll take pics to share the process with you all.

I hope you all have a wonderful week and find joy in the trivial things! Prayers and blessings everyone.

No comments: