Sunday, August 3, 2008

Discovering Something New Every Day

This is what I believe is a zucchini plant. Don't mind how I am spelling that by the way, I keep going back and forth as to whether it has 1 C or 2. Anyway, I'm going to bring your attention to the leaf shape on it.


It looks slightly like a spade, yes? Originally I was thinking I had cantelope growing in 2 spots in the garden, based solely on the flowers themselves. Upon closer inspection, I notice, however, that the leaf shape is significantly different.


Do you see the leaves on this one right there, above? Now look at the one directly below. See the difference? The one above is right next to the plant with those pretty yellow star flowers. The one below is on the other side of the carrots. As I was weeding today, I noticed that, while the flowers look the same, the leaves are significantly different.

This one above has leaves like the zucchini/cucumber plant. Still not sure what it is, but I'm told a cucumber has white flowers while a zucchini has yellow. The plant directly below has bright orange flowers, just like the one above, and the leaves are not shaped like a squash
plant.

I did find another tiny couple of plants, over on the other side of the orange flowered squash leaf shaped plant that has leaves shaped like the non-squash shaped orange flowered plant. So I'm wondering, could I be getting watermelon and cantelope and pumpking and zucchini? Jason couldn't figure out how the cantelope was planted in two spots. Well, maybe now we know that it's not cantelope after all. Time will tell. It's amazing what you find when you take the time to rip out all the weeds.

In the next couple of days, I'll post pics of my transplanted broccoli and tomatoes. And I need to train the non-squash orange flowered plant to go out in to the area that isn't around the lettuce so that is not also smothered. Wish me luck. This gardening is a lot of work, but I'm really enjoying it. MF Jenn is bringing over tomatoes at the end of the week. I am going to learn how to make homemade spaghetti sauce and can it. That will certainly save us some money this winter!

No comments: