Monday, June 9, 2008

Personal Responsibility

This is where I'm going to get a little Republican on you. Just so you know, I'm one of those middle of the line pansy waists who can't pick just ONE side of an election, I DON'T have an affiliated political party, I'm sorry (well, no I'm not really sorry, I like things from both sides) I just don't.

What the HELL ever happened to personal responsibility? My recent slip and fall has brought to light how much that has gone by the way side. Here's what happened. I slipped on some water and I fell. The fact that I did this at WAL-MART (not the one I work at, one across town, and no, I wasn't working) takes the blame of this incident and puts it on The Company, instead of on me. If I would have fallen at home, it'd be my fault.

Apparently, when you fall anywhere but your own home, or come to ANY kind of injury, no matter if you are a klutz, or doing something stupid, or just not thinking, or it just happens to be the right combination of circumstances, it is no longer your fault, but the fault of The Company. It seems as though The Company has purposely set out obstacles in order for you to come to your accidental mishap.

Here's the kicker in all of this, it's an ACCIDENT. NO ONE purposely set out ANYTHING that made YOU hurt yourself. It was YOU AND ONLY YOU. So why do you get all "sue happy" and try to take down The Company? Are you embaressed because you looked like an idiot in front of others? Yep, I thought so. So your stupid pride is hurt and that makes it the fault of The Company.

When I slipped and fell, I was in the green house, they were watering plants (imagine that!), there were wet floor signs, and associates in the process of cleaning the water up. Yes the water was in the main walk area and it had come over from where the plants had been watered. However, this does NOT make it The Company's fault for me walking through this water, slipping on the water, and then falling in a way that I twisted my ankle.

Numerous people told me I should sue Wal-Mart. For what exactly? Medical bills? That'd be nice if they paid them, however would they still pay them if I fell at home? Lost wages? Again, that'd be nice, however we come back to the "what if I had done it at home?" scenerio again. Because they can afford it?

So that's what you do, you hire one of those accident lawyers, the lawyer will take 1/3 of the money you get. All simply because The Company can afford it. Are you going to sue for a million bucks when your lost wages only equal about $300 and your medical bills MIGHT be $500? How GREEDY is that!

Moral of the rant is this. Get over it, suck it up. You did it to yourself, now suffer through it. They didn't maliciously set you up to hurt yourself. Your klumsy stupid ass did that well enough on it's own. Next time it happens, ask yourself "what if I had been at home?" and take it from there. I believe you'll come to the logical conclusion.

No comments: