Sunday, June 1, 2008

Welcome to June

So I've been gone a while, I know. It's been a rather busy last few weeks. Not so much during the week, but on the weekends, and I've just been too plum tuckered to really want to write much.

I didn't get the dress done in time for Jenn, which I feel horrible about, however it's so close it's ridiculous, so I'm going to finish it up, and get it on over to her. She can always wear it to work. Then it's on to curtains for the girls' room. And then curtains for the boys' room. I'm thinking of doing some summer outfits for Jayden as well, after the curtains, so that I can use up some of the scrap fabrics I have laying around.

Today while at Wal-Mart, guarding the door, I was thinking. It's a rather mundane job, and I have plenty of time to think. I also have plenty of time to think while cashiering, however this thought occurred to me while manning the door. I want to look in to foster parenting. I'm still in the very beginning stages of interest, so it's still VERY much the looking. I thought I'd mention it to James' case manager tomorrow and see if he can get me in touch with someone I can talk to about it.

What brought this line of thinking about? I was thinking about having more kids. And the odds that we just aren't going to have any more of our own, it's just not really looking like it'll happen for us. Then my thoughts led to foster kids, kids in the system. They need good homes, consistent, stable, loving, caring. I'm a good parent. So is Jason. We have a good home. Consistent, loving, caring, stable. We also already have a son with special needs. Very similar needs to those of the kids in the system frequently. I wouldn't want to start out with a kid that was older than either James or Katy. I've never been dealt with an older kid, so I wouldn't fully know what to expect, and I'd like to at least be a little prepared for the issues of those ages.

It's going to take a lot of research and time and thought and consideration about all of this. I understand that. This isn't something to be done lightly. Both Jason and I have to be on the same page about it as well. I'll see how it develops.

I'm so tired lately, and ready to just relax. We've been busy pretty much every weekend since the beginning of May. We still have 2 more weekends of business before the relaxation can start. Ugh. This week I'm finishing up the family tree and making a cake for my step-dad's surprise party on Sunday. Next weekend is Jason's birthday on Saturday, and dinner with his folks (thankfully we are doing that here so it'll be a little more relaxed) and Sunday is Father's Day. Then the following Thursday is my birthday. We are also picking Katy up on the 8th and she'll be here for pretty much an entire month, with going back to Jenn's the weekend of the 4th of July.

We got our Wii. It's super fun, and I'm glad I was able to get it before summer vacation started. The kids grumble about the chores that I require them to do, Jayden especially, in order to get their Wii time, however they do DO the stuff. I told Jason that I could get the house scrubbed with toothbrushes for their time, however I won't go quite that far. I do expect them to do quite a bit to earn just an hour of time. I figure it's a good life lesson. The sooner that you figure out that you bust your ass for minimal pay the better. It'll help set them up for the "real" world!

I'm going to try to be better about posting. I swear. Oh, I've lost about 5 pounds now with The Biggest Loser Challenge. I really need to step up the exercise and make that number even less. There are 4 weeks of the challenge left. I'd like to get to 270 before the end of it. I'm at 277/278 right now. I started at almost 284. Ugh. Little steps is what I keep telling myself. Oh, and I want to be the weekly leader at least once before the end of it. I know I'll be around for the next go round, and I know I won't be winning it this time around either. However, I'm in it for the long run, and that's what is important.

No comments: